Tuesday, June 10, 2008

600+ vines!

Well, we are done planting this vineyard. This particular one is called Weberacker, which translates into weaver-field. Weber is one of those last names like we have here such as carpenter or mason, except this one is weaver. Nik adds "acker" or "field" to the end to show that it is a vineyard. Weberacker has been planted with a hybrid grape that is resistant to fungus. This vineyard will be an experiment and if all goes well, he will not have to spray this field as he would a venifera variety.

The other vineyards are called: Piwiacker, Schlossacker, and Goldenrautacker. In the Piwiacker he grows a fungus two fungus resistant varieties (which is what PIWI stands for). The Schloss is the castle, where he grows a little Vernatsch, Schardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir, and a few others. In Goldenrautacker he grows primarily gold muscateller. Nik says this is normally known as a sweet wine, but he likes to make a dry wine with this variety. Now that we are done planting, we need to put in the irrigation system. We started that today as well as finished off raking the rocks out of the paths for easy mowing.

I am getting to know the animals and they, in turn, are beginning to trust me. Today I had four Zackleshaf come up to me at feeding, when in the past only one has - I'm sure it must be the peanuts! The Zeige (goats), shaf (sheep), and swein (pigs) all love peanuts! Mira and Bella even "sitz" (sit) for peanuts!!

There was a thunderstorm this afternoon - what fun! Lightening was crashing off the Alps. The picture below is the view from my breakfast balcony. My kitchen is huge and I dine on spiced meats and local cheeses with yogurt for breakfast (no, I am not on a weight-loss plan). I am really settling in now and find myself getting a lot of relax time in. People asked me along my travels if I was "going on holiday?" Well, I feel like I am on holiday, I find time to work in the garden and do yoga almost every day!

I finally got these evasive chickens on my camera! They are called Appenzeller Spitzhaunbenhuhn, and now I do not have a translation for THAT yet :) The ducks and the chickens here have very dignified "tufts" on their heads. Sometimes I think they look like poodles, and other times, like royalty.
I need to find better pictures of the Zackleshaf, but this is the best I can do right now. Below is the ram, whose horns slant outwards, and a ewe, whose horns curl straight back. They are like black and silver unicorns with two horns each. They're very cool!

Permaculture:

Brigitte, one of the owners of The Brunnenburg Agriculture Museum, has been taking classes in permaculture and has also learned a lot from her grandmother on the subject. Permaculture is companion and ecological design in gardens. Its mostly used with vegetable gardens or other edible landscaping. The idea is to create more of an ecosystem than a garden by planting things together that will help production and well-being of the whole garden, while building the soil structure and life at the same time.

Brigitte is gone for the week, but has left me with instructions and will teach me a lot when she returns. I am reading Bill Mollison's Introduction to Permaculture right now and before I came here dabbled in the Edible Forest Garden texts. Both are fascinating. I will have pictures and updates of the garden soon - it is beautiful and I will begin drying herbs to bring home soon. The climate allows rosemary bushes to grow as small bushes and are beautiful!