Thursday, June 12, 2008

Playing in the Garden!

On Wednesday I tricked Nik into letting me play in the garden - all day! I only worked two hours in Weberacker in the afternoon. I weeded and mulched everything down so I'm ready for lessons from Brigitte when she returns!

Permaculture
Below is the magnificent rosemary bush! Brigitte says she has bigger ones at their home in Tuscany!
Here is the equally brilliant sage bush, see in the next pictures how big the leaves are compared to my hand! Warm weather and longer growing seasons work wonders on food production!
Here is the bean patch that I weeded and mulched.
Here, the onions and lettuce are grown together, in a way known as companion planting, or permaculture. They are planted this way to help each other as well as make the most use of space. In the same area, not as many of just lettuce, or just onions could be planted. Also, many times one plant will deter certain pests from another. I will wait and ask Brigitte more about this certain patch, when she returns from Tuscany.
Here, I have weeded and mulched! It was a jungle before I began!Here is a picture of the sweet corn and squash that I planted below the garden. This will also be the winter pig area. After the corn is harvested, the pigs will have fun pulling down the stalks and eating it! I will also seed some other plants around the corn to help with runoff and for roughage in the fall/winter.
Viticulture
Here are the anchors for the corner posts in the vineyard. We had to dig holes, then twist these suckers into the ground, and then pray there were not rocks underneath (which many times there were!) Miche said he got all the rocks, but I barely got any!Here are a few that are almost finished.Here are Miche (left) and Nik (right) after a long day at work, in high spirits, as usual :) Nik has irrigation tubing on his shoulder, while Miche wields the crow bar we used to do numerous things around the vineyard.Majik!
Here are the unicorns that I get to see twice a day for chores! Aren't they beautiful? Its only fitting that there are unicorns at a castle. They live in the fields around the castle, and I feed them peanuts!
Here you can see their majikal horns through the trees...

This is Lily, leader of the unicorns. This is the youngest unicorn. She is very shy, and has one crooked horn.Here is the majikal creature about to disappear until this evening....


Here are Pan and Grace (above) and Glauke (below). They are big clowns and have lots of fun teasing me and jumping up like puppy dogs.